INTERNATIONAL SEMINAR ON GEOGRAPHICAL INDICATIONS
in the olive oil and table olive sector
Villa San Giovanni, RC (Italy), 21 October 2010
- Introduction by Mohammed Ouhmad Sbitri, Executive Director, IOC (version en français).
- Introduction by Mohammed Ouhmad Sbitri, Executive Director, IOC (English version).
- Opening remarks by Marcello Zimbone, Preside, Facoltà di Agraria, Università Mediterranea della Calabria, Italy.
- Market for origin-labelled olive oils and table olives by Marina Testu, Chef de Groupe Marketing Développement RHF, Lesieur, France.
1ST PANEL – Legal protection of olives and table olives with a GI in the main producing and consuming markets:
Presentation of the main elements of the IOC-commissioned study on the legal framework for the protection of GIs by David Thual, Insight Consulting, Belgium.
* International and bilateral framework for the protection of GIs
- Multilateral negotiations at WTO by Antony Taubman, Director, Intellectual Property Division, WTO.
- Multilateral negotiations at WIPO by Matthijs Geuze, Head, International Appellations of Origin Registry, WIPO.
- GIs from the point of view of Argentina by Gabriela Catalani, Asesora Técnica, Dirección de Relaciones Agroalimentarias Internacionales, Argentina.
- GIs from the point of view of the EU by Pavlos Dimitriou, European Commission, EU.
2ND PANEL – How GIs are implemented in the olive oil and table olive sector:
Presentation of the findings of the IOC-commissioned study on existing and potential GIs by David Thual and Fanny Lossy, Insight Consulting, Belgium.
* Case studies:
- EU experience: GIs produced in a small and large geographical area by José Manuel Bajo Prados, Coordinador, Sectorial Nacional del Aceite de Oliva Virgen con DO, Spain.
- Morocco’s experience in protecting an olive oil GI by Khadija Bendriss, Chef de la Division de la Labellisation, Morocco.
- Turkey’s experience in protecting an olive oil GI by Hakan Kiziltepe, trademark examiner, Turkey
- Tunisia’s work in establishing GIs in the olive sector by Samira Sifi, Chargée des dénominations d’origine, Tunisia.
- Establishing GIs in Israel’s olive sector: now and in the future by Zohar Kerem, food chemist, Israel.
- Establishing GIs in Albania’s olive sector: now and in the future by Elena Kokthi, Head of Analyses, Monitoring and Evaluation, Albania.
TECHNICAL-LEGAL STUDY ON GEOGRAPHICAL DESIGNATIONS FOR OLIVE OIL AND TABLE OLIVES: